Duvets & Pillows Buying Guide
A good night’s sleep starts with the right foundations. Choosing the right duvet and pillow to suit your needs is critical. You can make your bedroom a haven of comfort by choosing your bedding with care. The type of pillow or duvet you choose and whether you use mattress protectors or pillow protectors can all make a difference to the quality of your sleep.
We offer a range of fillings; from synthetic microfibre, to feather and down.
Choose a natural duvet because:
- Duvets with a down content are traditionally lighter but with excellent thermal performance
- They’re made from natural fibres with all-cotton covers
- They’re durable and resilient
Shop natural duvets:
Synthetic duvets are predominately made from microfibre or hollowfibre polyester which makes for a soft, silky, warm and lightweight feel.
Both microfibre and hollowfibre are machine washable, making them very easy to care for.
Choose a synthetic duvet because you:
- Need a duvet that can be washed frequently
- Suffer with allergies
- Are looking for an affordable alternative to other fillings
- They dry more quickly than natural duvets
Shop synthetic duvets:
Natural Duvets Construction
- All our natural duvets feature a boxed wall construction. The filling is held in individual boxes, allowing for even distribution and preventing cold spots. Always shake your natural duvets from the side and not the bottom to prevent the filling from moving between boxes
- All our synthetic duvets are constructed to keep the filling in its place, making them easy to maintain.
What is Tog Rating?
- A duvet’s tog rating is important as it relates to its warmth (but not its weight, which depends on filling).
- The higher the tog rating, the warmer the duvet, with 2.5 – 7 tog perfect for spring and summer and 10.5 – 13.5 ideal for autumn and winter.
|Summer lightweight duvet||Spring/Autumn weight duvet||Winter weight duvet|
|1.0 – 4.5 tog||7.0 – 10.5 tog||12.0 – 13.5 tog|
What Size Duvet Do I Need?
Our duvets are made to fit standard UK bed sizes:
|Duvet size||135 x 200cm||200 x 200cm||230 x 220cm||260 x 220cm|
|Mattress size – metric||90 x 190cm||135 x 190cm||150 x 200cm||260 x 220cm|
|Mattress size – imperial||3′ x 6’3″||4’6″ x 6’3″||5′ x 6’6″||6′ x 6’6″m|
What Style of Pillow Should I Choose?
If you want a pillow to fit snugly and are looking for a firm, yet soft feel, then consider a natural pillow because:
- Down and feather pillows mould snugly round the head and shoulders
- The more feather there is in a pillow, the firmer it tends to be
- The proportion of down adds softness
- Down is the best quality
- A mix of feather and down offers a good value compromise
Synthetic fillings are the best choice if you:
- Suffer from allergies
- Are looking for fresh, breathable comfort
- Want a firm filling
Then consider a synthetic pillow because:
- Manmade fibres tend to be more affordable
- Our microfibre filling is composed of lightweight fine fibres, providing the closest feel to a down pillow
How Firm Should Your Pillow Be?
One of the most important things to consider when buying pillows is how you sleep. A pillow that’s too firm or too soft can affect your posture and how much rest you get.
Remember to consider:
- The pillow against the mattress – a firm pillow won’t work well with a soft mattress
- Your body shape and height. You’ll want to maintain a straight spine throughout the night, so it helps to choose the right pillow
- If you are a back sleeper choose a medium-firm pillow as it provides enough support for the neck without affecting the alignment of your spine.
- If you are a side sleeper a firm pillow is recommended as it keeps the spine aligned and prevents hunching and a painful neck.
- If you are a front sleeper a soft pillow is great as it provides the right amount of comfortable cushioning.